Irvine, CA (April 10th, 2019) – It is with great sorrow that we announce the passing of David A. Janes, our Chairman, co-founder, mentor and friend.
He will be greatly missed by everyone at Janes Capital Partners. In particular, we will miss his guidance and counsel, unshakeable confidence in our team, warm praise and sense of humor. Everyone knew whenever Dave was in the office because his energy and inspiration were omni-present.
I had the privilege of working alongside Dave as his partner for over 20 years—and as his employee for 5 years prior to that. What he taught me over the course of those 25 years was immeasurable—knowledge, wisdom, honor, strength and character to name a few.
Dave believed that if you were standing still, you were in effect going backwards, because the world around you advances every day. He would therefore encourage our team to proceed “full speed ahead” every day. He also espoused ambition, dedication, determination and excellence.
Dave sought to make a difference throughout his life and make the world a better place. He did both!
- He had a distinguished 36-year reserve and active duty career in the United States Navy attaining the rank of Rear Admiral (2 stars)
- He started, bought and sold over 20 successful businesses providing employment for hundreds of people and support for their families
- He competed in grueling, high-profile, long distance yacht races including Newport to Ensenada, Transpac (Long Beach to Hawaii) and numerous others—and often won!
- He served as Chairman of various non-profit Boards including Chapman University and the Boy Scouts of Orange County. He created and endowed the Janes Financial Center at Chapman University. He oversaw the development of the Boy Scouts Sea Base and Outdoor Education Center—both of which are used by thousands of youth each and every year
- Along with his wife Donna, he had 5 children and 18 grandchildren who will continue his legacy and honor his memory
Dave was a remarkable and brilliant individual who achieved what he set out to do, which is to make a difference in the world. He will be missed by family, friends and business acquaintances—including everyone at Janes Capital Partners. Full speed ahead!